Happy new year! Here are a few tips on how to not be a dick in 2015. You're welcome.
1. Do not mistake UKIP for the party of free speech. They will only publicly defend your right to free speech if you agree with them or say something racist, sexist or homophobic because that means you have the "courage" to say what we are all really thinking. Apparently. This is also a party that is desperate for its members to stay off social media lest someone says something stupid.
2. On the same token, UKIP members can use their freedom of speech to say something stupid. Indeed, anyone can use their freedom of speech to say something stupid. Always remember that you have the freedom to ignore anything someone says that you find stupid. If you are seeking to silence someone, ask yourself whether this is because you feel threatened by what they are saying.
3. If you succeed in getting something banned that you don't like, do not act all surprised if something you do like also gets banned.
4. If you walk down the street with your face in your phone, do not get all indignant if you walk into someone. It is not their fault.
5. Before you blame immigrants for any problems with the NHS, bear in mind that the real cost pressures are coming from rancid PFI deals and the astronomical costs of administering the tender process for contracts.
6. If you whine about "BBC lefty bias", you will sound like a weapons grade bellend.
7. Vaccinate your kids.
8. Do not interrogate women without children about why they don't have children or when they might have children. It is none of your business.
9. If you are an MP, consider not giving yourself another massive pay rise this year. You also might like to consider paying for all manner of stuff yourself. Such as meals. And home maintenance.
10. Londoners! Unless it is the last tube of the night, there is no need to run for it or barge open the doors with an enormous bag of shopping just as they are beeping closed. There will be another train.
11. Refrain from eating oranges or mandarins on public transport. It's gross.
12. I am sure your children are adorable. They will be even more adorable if they do not ride scooters in supermarkets with narrow aisles and will be more likely to celebrate another birthday if they don't ride said scooters at speed on busy high streets. This and point number seven comprise the full extent of my parenting advice.
13. If you live somewhere like Dubai, a pet husky is a stupid idea.
14. The Duchess of Cambridge is not amazing. If you think she is amazing, you are too easily amazed.
15. Do not get all your news from one source. This will turn you into a moronic caricature.
16. I know it's an embarrassment of embarrassments rather than an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the talent of many MPs or potential MPs in Britain but it is still smart to vote. You never know. Your vote may even make a difference, especially if your MP has a tiny majority.
17. Don't whine about the death of the high street if you never actually use the shops on the high street.
18. Detoxing is a myth. We detox every day by doing a poo. But there is no money to be made in telling people this. Eat well, everything in moderation, et cetera et cetera. Boring but effective.
19. Similarly, if you don't eat sugar/gluten/meat/whatever food is declared lethal this week, that is your choice. But don't bore me with your sanctimony. I will continue to eat all of the above in varying quantities.
20. If another person's sex life is consensual, mind your own business. They probably don't want you to join in.